In Fort Worth, there is a grocery store called Central Market, and if you spend five minutes with me, you will hear me sing the praises of this supermarket superhero. I do not hide my love and loyalty for all things Central Market. It is my happy place.
Central Market makes an Apricot Almond Chicken Salad that I have adored for years. The recipe I am sharing today is my version, hacked from reading the ingredient label and doing my best to replicate the sweet, crunchy, creamy combination.
One of the things I love about chicken salad in general is how versatile it can be and how many ways there are to change the flavor profile. This version is on the sweet side, but has a nice balance of flavor from mustard. I love the added crunch of slivered almonds and chopped celery, particularly in contrast to the tender chicken and dried apricots. (Looking for an easy method for cooking chicken? Click here!)
My favorite way to enjoy Apricot Almond Chicken Salad is with a snappy whole-grain cracker or, if I’m in the mood to go over-the-top, piled inside a buttery croissant.
Apricot Almond Chicken Salad
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise I like Hellman’s
- 1/4 cup apricot jam
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise and apricot jam vigorously with a whisk to break up any lumps in the jam and fully incorporate it into the mayonnaise.
- To finish the sauce, stir in the dry mustard, lemon juice, chopped thyme, Kosher salt, and pepper.
- Add the cooked chicken, celery, dried apricots, and slivered almonds. Give it a quick stir to combine all the elements and enjoy!