This is the brownie recipe that I go to time and time again. It is an amalgam of lots of different recipes I have tried over the years, and I like it because I can mix this together in less time than it takes the oven to preheat.
Do not skip the instant espresso powder! This ingredient does not yield brownies that taste like coffee. Rather, the coffee wakes up the flavor of the chocolate making it come alive and sing. Ina taught me this trick, and it is a winner.
These brownies have a delicate crust on top with a fudge-like texture inside. As with all brownies, they freeze beautifully. And, if you want your brownies to be bakery-case perfect with sharp, beautiful corners, always chill them in the pan thoroughly before slicing.
- 12 tablespoons 6 oz, or 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into large chunks
- 8 ounces bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate bars
- 4 extra-large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9X13 pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In the top of a double-boiler, or a heat-proof bowl set over simmering water, heat the butter and chocolate until melted together. Use a spatula to gently stir and combine them as the mixture heats and melts together. Once melted, remove the bowl from the heat and set aside.
- Beat the eggs with a fork or whisk in a medium-sized bowl or large measuring cup. Add the granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and espresso powder to the beaten eggs. Continue to whisk until completely and thoroughly combined.
- In a small bowl, stir together the flour and salt.
- Stir the egg mixture into the chocolate and butter mixture. Use a spatula to make sure all of the ingredients are well-combined. Add the flour mixture and gently stir until the flour is just incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the brownies to cool in the pan before serving.