My favorite thing about this salad isn’t the tender, crispy, panko-crusted chicken.
My favorite thing about this salad isn’t the shreds of sharp cheddar or the slender slivers of purple onion tossed among fresh greens.
My favorite thing about this salad isn’t the nutty, sweet, vibrant vinaigrette, so tasty I could eat it with a spoon.
My favorite thing about this salad? The fact that my children gladly eat it and ask for seconds.
Seconds!! On a salad!! When was the last time your children willingly ate salad for dinner, much less asked for seconds? In our family, this is a win, and I will make this as often as needed to ensure green things are eaten and enjoyed by all.
Children aside, I enjoy this salad tremendously. I love serving it year-round, and it makes a great meal for casual gatherings.
The crispy chicken combined with the fresh ingredients and the Pecan Honey Vinaigrette delivers a hearty, satisfying meal that I am thrilled to serve my family. I hope you will too!
Crispy Chicken Salad
for the vinaigrette…
- 1/4 cup pecan pieces
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
for the chicken…
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Panko
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken tenders
- vegetable oil for frying
- 10 ounces mixed baby greens or spinach
- thinly sliced red onion
- cherry or grape tomatoes halved
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- To make the vinaigrette, combine all the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and puree until smooth. The vinaigrette can be made a day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Allow to come to room temperature before using, and give it a stir before serving.
- To make the chicken, whisk the eggs in a medium bowl or shallow plate. Place the panko in another bowl or plate. Heat 3 to 4 tablespoons of oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken well with salt and pepper. Dip the chicken into the egg, turning to coat. Dip chicken into the panko, pressing to adhere. Fry the chicken in the hot oil until cooked through and nicely browned. This will take about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Transfer the cooked chicken to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain.To assemble the salad, toss the salad greens, onion, tomatoes, cheese, and pecans with enough vinaigrette to coat. Transfer the salad to dinner plates and top with the crispy chicken.