Sometimes the best recipes are the easiest, and this could not be more true than with Pistachio Bundt Cake.
This cake began as a random craving, then turned into an internet deep dive, followed by a trip to the grocery store for ingredients, multiple baking sessions in my home kitchen, and satisfying results. This cake was so delicious, so easy, and so exceeded my expectations, I knew that I needed to share it with you. This cake feels too good to be true..
This recipe is based on a cake mix and jello pudding mix, and I offer no apologies. I love to bake from scratch, but I also love knowing short-cut ways to make a fabulous dessert. What began as a way to scratch a craving itch has turned into a fast favorite with my family, and when I took this cake to work, it disappeared in record time among my coworkers.
The flavor of this cake is sweet, but wonderfully balanced by the salty snap of the pistachios. Because it is made with pudding mix, it stays moist for several days. And, as a bonus, the interior of the cake is a lovely shade of green, making it a fun spring dessert or a great addition to a St. Patrick’s Day party.
If you are gluten-free, I have good news! My friend Jess tested this recipe using the Pilsbury Gluten-Free Yellow Cake Mix, and when she brought it to work we all agreed that if she had not told us it was gluten-free, we would not have known. She did mention that when she was preparing it, she let the batter sit for 5-10 minutes in the pan before putting it in the oven. Apparently this is a trick when baking with gluten-free flour.
I hope you enjoy the simplicity of this cake and share it with your family and friends this spring!
Pistachio Bundt Cake
for the cake…
- 1 15.25-oz white cake mix (I like Duncan Heinz)
- 1 3.4-oz package instant pistachio pudding mix
- 1 8-oz container sour cream
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped roasted, salted pistachios, plus more for garnish
for the glaze…
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 10- or 12-cup bundt cake pan with baking spray and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the cake mix, pistachio pudding mix, sour cream, vegetable oil, eggs, vanilla, and water. Beat on medium speed for two minutes
- Fold in the chopped pistachios.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool for 20 minutes before turning it out onto a cake plate to cool completely.
- Once the cake is cool, whisk together the glaze ingredients. The glaze should be the consistency of glue. Gently pour it over the top of the cake, encouraging it with a small spoon to drip over the sides. Sprinkle with the reserved chopped pistachios and enjoy!