Today I am sharing my all-time favorite fast and delicious soup recipe, with a complete video tutorial to walk you through the steps!
Tortilla Soup is the kind of dinner we all need right now. Easy. Comforting. Delicious.
This recipe yields big, flavorful results from minimal effort. The depth of flavor that comes from this simple recipe is due to paying attention to a few key details along the way (which I point out in the video below). And because the soup serves as a base for toppings, everyone gets to make it their own!
A video tutorial is included below!
for the soup…
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium-sized onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 15- ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 15- ounce cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- Kosher salt
- black pepper
- 24 ounces cooked chicken, roughly chopped (about 6 cups)
- 8 ounces frozen corn
- ripe avocado
- tortilla chips
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- Heat the 2 tablespoons olive oil in a heavy-bottomed, 4-quart soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and saute until the vegetables become soft. This may take 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, chile powder, ancho chile powder, and cumin and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, decrease the heat, and simmer about 15 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, process all the canned tomatoes with their juices. There are several ways to do this. You can use a food processor, an immersion blender, or a standard blender. You need the tomatoes to be completely pureed and liquified.
- After the soup has simmered for 15 minutes, add the pureed tomato mixture to the pot.
- Stir in 3 teaspoons Kosher salt, and bring back up to a simmer. Simmer on medium-low heat, covered, for about one hour. Add the chicken and the corn, and simmer for five minutes until the corn is heated through.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish as desired.